May 15, 2019
- TRUTHS OF A GOSPEL-CENTERED MARRIAGE
- You’re marrying an image-bearer (Gen 1 & James 3)
- You married not a finished product but a work in progress, and
YOU are also a work in progress.
- Phil 1:6, 2 Cor 4:16, Romans 8.
- Marriage is all three:
- Back – to – back
- Side by side (CS Lewis)
- Face to face
- Out of reverence for Jesus, submit to one-another (Ephesians
- Love God more than you love each other.
10 MOST COMMON “ISSUES” IN MARRIAGE
1. Most spouses refuse to see themselves as the
biggest problem in their marriage.
- The purpose of marriage is to fulfill
me and make
- Marriage shouldn’t be hard work if we are truly “meant” for one
another and we have feelings of love for each other.
- If I am diligent to meet my spouse’s needs, all my needs will
be met by my spouse.
- Communication styles of men and women are SO different; it is a
cross-cultural communication experience when husbands and wives
talk to each other.
- A healthy marriage is all three: Back-to-back, side-by-side,
- Spouses are going to fight, but they don’t fight well.
- One of the biggest problems with the Church in America is the
number of sexually active singles and sexually celibate
- Balancing parenting with the genuine needs of the parents.
- Married couples rarely spend enough time talking about what the
future might look like ... dreaming, budgeting, planning,
brainstorming, & encouraging each other.
1) The meaning of marriage - Timothy Keller
2) Theories of human communication - Stephen W. Little John